MANAWATU SINFONIA & MANAWATU YOUTH ORCHESTRA
- To foster in young musicians a life-long interest in orchestral music
- To provide an opportunity for members to develop their musicianship and explore the orchestral repertoire in public performance
- To work co-operatively with other musical groups in the area and support their events
- To promote orchestral music within the community
- To provide affordable family concerts in Palmerston North
- Manawatu Youth Orchestra
- Conductor: Current resident conductor Isaac Henderson
Membership of the Manawatu Youth Orchestra averages around 50 players, with a good balance of sections. We welcome new players in all sections, though there may occasionally be limits in the woodwind section. Auditions are held in February each year, for more information see our 'Join Us' page. We perform two main concerts a year and also a variety of charity and schools events.
- Manawatu Sinfonia
- Conductor: No resident conductor. Recent guest conductors have included members of the NZSO and NZ School of Music.
We perform three or four main concerts a year, with a variety of styles to suit a range of audiences and provide interest and challenge to the players. Concerts often feature a professional soloist in a concerto and a large-scale symphony. We sometimes invite guest players to augment our numbers and fill any gaps in instrumentation.
Musica Viva is a club which offers live performances of music, particularly music of enduring quality. Offering monthly concerts from March to December members present a Monday evening concert at 7.30 pm in the Evelyn Rawlins Room on the first floor of Square Edge.
For information regarding membership, contact the Treasurer : Graham Doull 3593271
For additional information visit the website at http:/www.musicaviva.org.nz/