Online Exhibition Proposal Form
Submit your exhibition proposal for 2024 by November 30th 2023.
Are you an emerging or established artist, group or collective with a strong practice and some great ideas for an exhibition? Square Edge are keen to support a wide range of artists and ensure our visitors have opportunities to see some interesting and varied work.
We would love to hear from artists working in diverse media and kaupapa including:
– Cultural Arts
– Street Art
– Social Justice
– Raranga and Whakairo
– Digital Art or Film
– Painting, print and drawing
– Any other media areas
A strong application will include high quality images, a clear idea, direction or kaupapa – the more you tell us the better!
Applications are open until November 30th.
Please email your proposal as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any trouble submitting your proposal.
I am having trouble loading the proposal – what do I do?
If you have any trouble uploading the application or if you are unsure if it has been sent please email email@example.com
You are also welcome to submit your proposal through the reception email if this is easier, however we will need ALL of the information provided that is requested in the online form.
When will I hear about my proposal?
Scheduling decisions are made in December and contracts then need to be prepared for each exhibiting artist. This takes a week or two.
ALL applicants are notified of the outcome of their proposal. If you do not hear from us by the end of the year you applied in please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How many works will I need for my allocated gallery space?
Can I change the wall colour?
Generally this is not possible. Our turnaround between exhibitions mean that we don’t have long to tidy up our walls between each exhibition, so painting a whole new colour (on really big walls) is not practical.
We are happy to talk about changing the wall colour in the Pop Up Gallery – if you give us plenty of notice.
What costs are involved and what do they cover?
Square Edge work really hard to support all artists wishing to exhibit. This includes supporting artists to apply to our local Creative Communities Scheme for funding from PNCC.
We are very mindful that finance can be a real barrier to community participation – so supporting funding applications is an important part of our mahi.
Our Gallery costs range between from $240 to $550 (February 2023)
The fee artists pay contributes towards but does not cover:
• Staff time to liaise with artists, provide funding and other support, ongoing promotion, marketing and administration, support for opening events
• the additional support of contracted gallery technicians
• assisting with bringing in works and curation of exhibitions with artists
• vinyl wall stickers for exhibition signage, individual work titles, and statement
• installation (2-3 people for anywhere between 6 – 12 hours, depending on the type of work)
• use of the workshop space, kitchen, glasses, platters, tables, chairs, speaker and microphone for opening events
• cleaning of the spaces before and after events
• deinstallation and packaging if required for transport (2-4 hours)
• Patching and painting walls (3-8 hours depending on type of installation
I need help with funding – where do I go?
There are lots of avenues for funding but the most accessible local funding source is the Palmerston North Creative Communities Scheme https://www.pncc.govt.nz/Community/Community-funding/Creative-Communities-Scheme
The Earle Creativity and Development Trust also allocate arts funding every second year for visual arts projects https://www.earletrust.org.nz/visual-arts
Creative New Zealand offer arts grants for larger projects https://creativenz.govt.nz/Funds-and-opportunities/Find-opportunities/Arts-Grants
The Square Edge team are happy to support you to apply for funding.